Operating While Intoxicated Citations


The following penalties are assessed if you are found guilty of an Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) or an Operating with a Restricted Controlled Substance (ORCS) citation:

  • Forfeiture imposed
  • Mandatory drug and alcohol assessment
  • Mandatory revocation of your driver's license
  • Ignition Interlock Device (IID) if applicable

Prohibited Alcohol Concentration (PAC)

You may receive a second citation for PAC. Although you can be convicted of both OWI and PAC, points and penalties will only be imposed on one.


If there was a refusal, you may request a hearing in writing with the New Berlin Municipal Court in writing within 10 days of the issuance of the Notice of Intent to Revoke. Please refer to the information given to you at the time of your arrest pertaining to procedures.

Ignition Interlock Device (IID)

If you are required to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in your vehicle, please read the IID Handout   There are four IID providers currently approved by the State of Wisconsin. Please contact the provider directly for installation questions. For additional and up-to-date information regarding IID requirements, including frequently asked questions please refer to the Ignition Interlock section on the DOT website http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepatrol/services/chemtest.htm. More information can be found on the Wisconsin Ignition Interlock brochure.

To locate a Wisconsin Ignition Interlock Device Service Center near you, please click on the list.

To request an IID exemption for a vehicle, please fill out the Affidavit Requesting IID Exemption and submit the form to the New Berlin Municipal Court to be reviewed by the Judge.

Jury Trials

If you have been issued a citation for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) or Operating with a Restricted Controlled Substance (ORCS), you have the right to a jury trial. The request for a jury trial, along with a check made payable to the Clerk of Circuit Court in the amount of $36.00, must be received in our court office within 10 days of entering your plea. Pursuant to state statutes, any monies posted for a jury trial are non-refundable, nor may the monies be applied to the forfeiture imposed if you are found guilty of the offense.